Tuesday, October 2, 2012

New American Cooking Iron Skillet Cornbread ( Rutherford Grill Cornbread Revisited)

So I have written about cornbread before. But as time has gone on I have worked to improved on the recipes I have had in the past. I wrote a blog about cornbread which was a take off on the Rutherford Grill cornbread people rave about, even though I have never had it. And that came out well. But in the meantime I have been dining around and one of the restaurants I went to last time I was home in Charleston was Husk. Now Husk has been getting lots of attention from all over and even the James Beard Foundation honored them as one of the best new restaurants in the South. One of the most famous things on the menu is the skillet cornbread.

Well I have to say I have lived by that my whole life. And there are two definite camps in the south, those who like savory cornbread and those who like sweet. And never the two shall meet. Also there is the white cornbread verses the yellow cornbread. For this recipe I choose the white. I chose also for ease to pick a cornbread baking mix instead of buying the flour. cornmeal and baking powder separately. It's a small cheat but the brand I picked is white cornbread mix by Aunt Jemima and it worked well.

So what makes this cornbread good, well it's the insides. Plus the presentation can't be beat a small iron skillet crusted over with amazing cornbread goodness.

It looked like this which is awesome.

What makes this so spectacular is the mix of green chili's, peppers, cheese, butter and whole yellow corn that is in it. It's really delicious but unlike the Rutherford Cornbread it is not very sweet and it is golden with hints of yellow cheddar not from yellow cornmeal.

3/4 cup Butter melted
4 teaspoons sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup corn (frozen)
1/2 4 oz can or Hatch Green Chili peppers
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons jarred jalepeno peppers diced
2 cups Cornmeal baking Mix ( white cornmeal from Aunt Jemima)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Sea Salt Maldon flakes

Mix wet ingredients together
Mix Dry together
Mix together to combine but don't overmix a little dry bit here or there is fine
Sprinkle with the sea salt

Heat oven to 425

pour into a hot buttered 6 inch cast iron pan

Bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is crusty and puffed

Cool 5 to 10 mins then enjoy with butter!






No comments:

Post a Comment