Monday, October 21, 2013

Feta and Buttermilk Salad Dressing

Salad Dressings are one of those elements in a dish that absolutely makes or breaks a salad. I love salads but I have to admit I mostly love salad dressings. I mean there is a delicious taste that comes with incredibly fresh salad fixings dressed ever so simply and seasoned perfectly. But as we most all know the salads we as Americans typically eat at home come from the super market. Are not totally fresh and need a little help. Plus trying to get your kids to eat salad greens usually can involve pulling teeth. And that's where dressing comes in. If you have a tasty dressing you can get kids and adults alike to eat their daily greens.

I also love rich flavorful salad dressings with a creamy base over most thin vinegary dressings. There are exceptions but for me that's really pretty much a rule. So when thinking about eating salads which I am doing more of these days. I wanted to bring the flavors I love into the mix. Feta cheese is for me one flavor that makes veggies sing. I love the tang and to ramp that up buttermilk seemed a perfect partner. Greek salads are one of my favorite things with oregano and feta and kalamata olives all mixing in briny sourness together. This dressing sort of takes any group of humble salad fixings and elevates them to a new height with a touch of greek flair.

Feta and Buttermilk Dressing with Tarragon and Herbs

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces French Sheep Feta or buttermilk blue cheese, crumbled
In a bowl, whisk together ingredients through salt and pepper. Add the cheese and whisk lightly, leaving small chunks of cheese visible. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Yield: 2 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment