Sunday, July 7, 2019

Spinach and Chicken Waldorf Salad

I
Now many of you may not know of my love for the Hillstone Restaurant Group. I have loved them since the 1980's when I almost went to work for them in their Houston's Restauarant location in Atlanta. Sometimes I wonder what would have happen if I had taken that job offer. 

Nonetheless my brother and me have huge crush on all their brands. In fact when mt brother still was working he used to entertain clients at various locations around the country. If there was a Hillstone restaurant in a city he went to. He had tried it. Multiple times. Now since his stroke his goal is to eat at Hillstone with me when he is able to swallow again.

Two years ago Bon Appetit Magazine published 8 of their recipes veiled in secrecy up till that time. I have made several of them and they actually turn out exactly like the restaurant versions. 

This is my 5th time making this salad. I normally don't tell people where the recipe is from I just say I got it somewhere. People rave over it. It really hits every crunchy salty sweet tangy creamy note a salad should hit.  So I thought I would repost the recipe and tell you if you want to try and entree salad this isone to try. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and my dining companions have. 

Spinach and Chicken Waldorf Salad

Ingredients

Dressing

  • 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons horseradish mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish plus 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 4½ teaspoons sugar
  • ⅓ cup olive oil
  • ⅓ cup walnut oil or olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons crumbled bacon (from about 2 slices)
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

Salad and Assembly

  • ¼ cup almonds
  • ¼ cup cashews
  • ¼ cup walnuts
  • 4 cups chopped frisée
  • 4 cups sliced curly kale
  • 4 cups torn rotisserie chicken
  • ¼ cup crumbled bacon (from about 3 slices)
  • ¼ cup flame raisins
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1 large red-skinned apple, shredded on a mandoline or box grater
  • 6 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated (about 1½ cups)
  • 8 cups mature spinach leaves (from about 1 large bunch)

RECIPE PREPARATION

Dressing

  • Whisk vinegar, mustard, and sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Whisking constantly, gradually add olive oil and then walnut oil; whisk until emulsified. Add bacon; season with salt and pepper.
  • Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

Salad and Assembly

  • Preheat oven to 350°. Toast almonds, cashews, and walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Let cool, then chop.
  • Toss frisée, kale, chicken, bacon, raisins, and nuts with dressing in a very large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add eggs, apple, cheddar, and spinach; taste and season again with salt and pepper. Divide among plates, piling as high as possible.

3 comments:

  1. This looks terrific! Best Waldorf Salad I ever had was made with cold fried chicken. Like that your version uses 3 different kinds of nuts -- almonds, cashews, and walnuts. Lotta crunch and flavor there! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hits a lot of flavor notes! If you try it let me know. Thanks for the drink recipe again. We had it ladt night again. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete