Thursday, January 5, 2017

The California Dreaming Salad - Holiday Eats redone at home



I read someone recently write that they could not seem to eat a salad that did not have as many calories and as much fat as a Cheeseburger and thus salads were never really a healthy alternative for them. This seems to be my burden as well. Try as I might I have to make things taste good or I just don't like them.

Now that's not to say I haven't eaten my fair share of awfully healthy meals when trying to improve my diet or lose weight in the past. But I have come to a place in my life where life itself seems a little more fleeting in the wake of my brothers illness and all. In fact, right before this happened to him, we were having a discussion about how one really needs to enjoy one's time here. Because let's face it, we never know when we will no longer have the chance to enjoy life and the ones we love.

As such and in that vein I offer up to you a recipe to remake maybe my favorite restaurant entree salad of all time. I mean, I love a Brown Derby Cobb Salad, and to say that the Hillstone Thai Steak and Noodle Salad would not also find itself at the top of that list would be silly (See Food and Wine Magazine article online for the restaurant's own recipe printed up in an article celebrating my favorite restaurant chain and favorite go to eatery in NYC.)

But the California Dreaming Salad stands on it's own as a miracle in modern American restaurant recipes. It's beautiful and it's served with a freshly baked croissant slathered with honey butter. It's dressed with a hot sweet and sour bacon dressing and topped with everything an old fashioned chef's salad should be. It is an a word perfection. Doubt it? Visit any California Dreaming restaurant and try this salad and write me back it it isn't De#uckingliscious! Sorry about the swearing but I am that passionate about this salad.

Of course you don't have to travel from where ever you are to make this salad because I am about to give you the golden ticket to make this on your own. Now I've done my research and I have supposedly gotten all the scoop on the ingredients. If I'm wrong please let me know but don't write nasty things about my research and how I don't know what I'm talking about. Just make the salad and then shut your mouth cause, it's that good! Try this and be the hero. Feed your loved ones and friends some salad tonight. You can feel "kinda" good about it. But they will just love it. I promise.

The California Dreaming Salad- A T&T Home Version
(makes 4 servings of entree sized salads)

1/2 head of iceberg lettuce shredded
1/2 head of Romaine chopped
1/2 small red onion finely diced
3 eggs boiled and finely chopped
12 oz. of Armour 1877 Ham cubed and then chopped in the food processor to shred
12 oz Smithfield Smoked Turkey chopped into thin thin strips
8 oz of Armour Smoked Bacon cooked crisp and finely chopped (Grease held in a dish)
2 Medium tomatoes seeded and diced
6 oz of finely shredded cheddar cheese

Frozen Croissants baked and slathered with honey butter.

Hot Bacon Dressing (This is the good stuff, but it's not necessarily good for you...but eh..life's short)

1/2 cup warmed bacon drippings
1 large or two small shallots very finely minced
3/4 cup salad oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon or brown mustard
1 tablespoon mayo
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix everything really well except the bacon drippings
The right before serving mix together and dress salads

To make the salad

Dress greens with dressing till wet. Portion out to into 4 bowls.  (Put extra dressing in a bowl on the side)

Layer on the toppings artistically starting with the cheese or mix and mound on the top leaving a few pieces to use as garnish, like tomato pieces and ham and maybe some egg.

Serve this salad with the croissants. Enjoy!!

Please feel free to comment I'd love to hear from you.




20 comments:

  1. To die for honestly. I added hearts of Palm too cause I love the grilled chicken salad with the house dressing. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for comments, sounds yummy with hearts of palm. Glad you you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to find a recipe for the dressing (I prefer the smaller house salad.. sans meat).. I've tried every recipe I've found, and NONE are correct!! I'll definitely try yours and get back to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for publishing this, this is my favorite salad...but you forgot to put the toasted almonds on the recipe. Again, thank you so much...I know the bacon dressing is fattening but hey, like you said...life is short and you don't have to eat it every day....but occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I’m pretty sure there aren’t any onions in the salad. And they put two kinds of cheese in it.

      Delete
    2. Yes...no onions...and I don’t think there is any turkey or ham...and the almonds make it!

      Delete
    3. There is both ham and turkey and also bacon. This is directed towards person who believes no turkey or ham in salad

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the recipe. I love their salad but cannot afford to buy it as often as I want it. So glad to be able to make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cali Ds famous salad actually comes with two different dressings. One is the Hot Bacon Vinaigrette and a Honey Mustard. I used to work there. If you get the dressing on the side, they come separately. Which ingredients would I use if I just wanted the Bacon Vinaigrette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know how they make their ranch dressing it is amazing

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the recipe. Do you by chance have the full recipe for the Broiled Chicken Breast salad recipe?

      Delete
  7. Do you have a recipe for their balsamic dressing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Used to live in Charleston, S.C. & man do I miss this salad! So excited to try it out here in my home state of Oregon. I do miss S.C. from time to time but mostly because of the fabulous history & delicious food! Thanks for the copycat recipe! Cant wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eat at Carolina Roadhouse last nite had grilled saimon salad with hot bacon and honey dressing, I tasted no onion or spicy favor at all, it was light in color (mustard) and very creamy, the receipe about I’m sure is good, but not the dressing at Carolina Roadhouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont think its the fat thats bad for us its the sugar, i going to try this salad to but i will cut the sugar and just use the honey and i cut the oil and just use the baccon drippings i am on keto and i learned that fat is good for us u need to eat fat to loose fat, stay away from sugar and carbs! This salad is the best for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have the recipe for thousand island dressing from California D?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always get the chopped salad at California D. With grilled salmon and Balsamic and their Blue Cheese dressing on the side. How is this salad different from that? I know there are hearts of palm in it. Sad that their sister restaurant, Manzettis, closed several years ago in Charlotte. Whaaaaa....

    ReplyDelete
  13. We used to eat here quite often when I was stationed in the Navy 1988-1992. I would always order the salad with the warm bacon dressing. I have never forgotten the dressing! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will definitely be making it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I die, this salad is what I’ll miss the most. We live in the Midwest and purposely vacation wherever this restaurant chain is located because of the salad AND long islands too. Gonna make this ASAP! Thanks

    ReplyDelete