Monday, February 6, 2012

The Greener Version of Cole Slaw

I love cole slaw. Well not all cole slaw I like all cole slaw that doesn't come out of a can or a tub in the refrigerator section of the deli. I mean ok,  there is one exception and guilty pleasure. I love the cole slaw from the Colonel. Yes I said it....KFC. I love the cole slaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken. I had this whole discussion with the previous chef at work about how it was really amazing. However, it is not the slaw of choice on my table.

No the cole slaw I love is a simple yet tasty one and comes from my attempt to make slaw one afternoon when all I had were a head of green cabbage and some herbs. I found myself with out any red cabbage or carrots which are normally in cole slaw. So I thought, lets try a color coded cole slaw.

I have been very interested in foods that have a strong color profile and can stand next to other foods and make then look really good. I mean strong color contrast without shades of different colors involved. For example, asparagus or green beans when cooked to a brilliant green can off set a piece of chicken or beef quite nicely and complement them on the plate. So I began to think about side dishes that could be more monochromatic and do the same thing. Cole Slaw always has a milky multicolored quailty, not a strong color. So what if you changed that so that it was green and vibrant like beans can be. That would mean reducing or changing the ingredients so that it has one color. So I chose Green. I suppose it could be red as well since red cabbage has great color too, but I had green cabbage that day so that's where I ended up.

So the thing about a good coleslaw and why KFC's coleslaw is so good it the contrast it has between the creamy, the salty, the vinegary, and the sweet. It is really well balanced. So I wanted the same thing. But I wanted it to also be monochromatic.  So this is what I did.

Forrest's House Recipe Cole Slaw with Pickle Relish and Green Herbs
Makes 4 to 6 servings depending on the eaters!

Take 1/2 head of firm Green Cabbage shredded
1 bunch flat leaf parsley finely chopped
1 bundle of chives finely chopped
1 bunch green onion finely chopped
2 tablespoons Dill pickle relish
2 tablespoons Sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup mayonnaise ( I use Dukes, but you can use the H Word)
6 tablespoons dill pickle juice
1 tablespoon Black pepper
salt to taste

Place everything in a bowl and mix well.
That's it, enjoy it!!






No comments:

Post a Comment